New Millennium • New Vantage新紀元 •
Election Platform - Highlights
It is easy for 'would-be' politicians to play lip-service
with no serious plan to deliver. Eric means every word he says but
it would still take a book to put all his explicit action plans down!
This readable highlight is designed with busy accountants
like you in mind. Eric has placed emphasis only on new, innovative
ideas and a broad representation of tangible results. A comprehensive
update and my original 11-page 1998 Election Platform 'Right On Track'
are available by request or a visit to my website http://www.ericli.org under 'Campaign Literature'.
Credit is also due to the Secretariat of HKSA and those
of you who had helped me to deliver on my platform. We have been
a good team. Many thanks.
Enhance accountants' role and opportunities in the fast changing age
of technological revolution.
Action Plan 行動計劃
- Liaise closely with IT interest groups of HKSA and other accounting
bodies to gauge their aspirations.
- Actively build on the role that I am already playing as independent
director of listed IT companies to keep abreast of innovative technological
- Closely monitor the implementation and progress of the newly enacted
Electronic Transactions Ordinance and join the relevant LegCo panels
to advocate the interests of accountants.
- Promote with vigor the roles that accountants can play in the Government's
policy making process.
- Enhance the public awareness of what accountants have done in leading
and supporting the IT industry.
- Upgrade my own website and hold regular chatroom sessions with fellow
Raise the quality of education, leadership, integrity and global visions
of our young people.
Action Plan 行動計劃
- Advise the Chief Executive of HKSAR as Chairman, Commission of Youth
to focus youth services on the above goals.
- Take a lead in the Non-Government Sector as Chairman, Hong Kong Council
of Social Service to deploy resources to offer effective programmes
in youth services and to raise community awareness.
- Build on my extensive experience as former member of the Board of
Education, advocate of gifted education and special education, council
member and adviser of universities, schools, teachers and students bodies
to take an active part in LegCo's Education Panel and in open public
debates on educational issues.
- Encourage and involve interested accountants in the above tasks by
nominating them to relevant Boards and Committees.
- Support accountants in Education in their pursuit of training students
with higher ethics, greater leadership skills and broader global visions.
Ensure fresh air, unpolluted water and a green environment for us and
our future generations to live in.
Action Plan 行動計劃
- Actively follow up the progress of the Dongjiang water clean up through
LegCo's Public Accounts Committee.
- Initiate and take part in a cross-party coalition of legislators to
press for cleaner environment as a priority society agenda.
- Support environmental groups in their educational works with youth
groups as Chairman, Commission on Youth.
- Safeguard our beautiful harbour by standing against excessive reclamation
by the Government in new land development programme.
- Support the early conversion to cleaner fuels by public transport
Uphold the principles of the rule of law, free elections, freedom of
speech, equality and humanity.
Action Plan 行動計劃
- Champion the cause of minority groups in community, e.g. disabled
persons by sponsoring a motion debate and raising questions in LegCo.
- Conduct further independent professional survey to gauge accountants'
views on the future political structure and functional constituency.
- Uphold the principles of freedom of speech and the rule of law in
LegCo debates and committee works.
- Continue participation with reputable organizations such as the Hong
Kong Council of Social Service in order to play an important role in
the wider community on equality and humanity issues.
- Sit on the LegCo Social Welfare Panel and relevant Bills Committees
i.e. Equal Opportunities Bill, to assist those who are unable to defend
Promote gainful employment of accountants in building the New Economy.
Action Plan 行動計劃
- Enhance accountants image in the New Economy by taking a part myself
and to sit on the Board of major investor companies.
- Prompt and assist the HKSA leadership in identifying opportunities
whenever legislation or Government policy is being discussed.
- Ensure accountants proper roles are clearly defined on statute and
public policy papers.
- Raise public awareness of accountants capabilities by submitting written
articles to reputable newspapers.
- Sit on the LegCo Information Technology Panel, the Financial Affairs
Panel and the Economic Services Panel to advocate the interests of accountants.
Election campaigns often provide a chance for would-be
politicians to make unrealistic promises. A dedicated professional,
however, stands honestly on his record and remains true to his principles.
His positions on controversies are dictated, without fear or favour, by
the long term interest of Hong Kong and not by short term personal political
gains. As your LegCo Representative, he must act promptly with the
courage of his convictions and the wisdom of experience and will not do
such things as trying to hide his own lack of a firm view behind hastily
drawn up surveys designed just for election purposes.
Eric firmly believes in the virtue of the above political
ethics, and has always relied on tangible plans, political knowledge,
systematic feedback and fearless advocacy to do a credible job.
The fair results will speak for themselves. The next four years
term will give Eric more time to broaden the role he wants to play on
your behalf. Eric has the interest, energy and experiences in representing
the profession on financial affairs to build on in dealing with other
lively issues such as education, the environment and high-tech lifestyles;
Eric knows how important these issues are to you and to your family.
On 10 September 2000, give No.2
Eric the chance to once again prove to you that his deeds are as
good as his words.
2000年9月10日，請投 2 號李家祥一票。讓我可以再一次向您證明：「家祥言出必行」。
1998 Election Platform • Action Highlights
* Guard our independence and autonomy to
accredit, license and self- regulate.
* In the context of Corporate Governance,
to further raise public awareness of the separate responsibilities
held by directors and professional accountants.
* Closely monitor Government regulators so that they do not unreasonably
extend their territory into our own area of self-regulatory responsibility.
* Sponsored Motion Debate on 'Risk Management and
Corporate Governance' on 3. 5. 2000.
* Written articles to HKSA and other media publications to raise
* Defended vigorously the role of auditors, the access to our working
papers etc. on numerous Bills Committees. (detailed in Reports to
HKSA Council & LegCo Representations p. 19-21, The Hong Kong
Accountant, July 2000 issue)
* Promote wide recognition of our professional
qualification and raise our social status both locally and
* Join HKSA Special Team with President and Vice
President, to promote local & overseas mutual recognition of
*Visit Government and overseas trade offices to monitor their efforts
in promoting Hong Kong financial services.
* Took part in HKSA Task Force and now secured mutual
recognition with ASCPA and ACCA.
* Visited Melbourne, London, San Francisco & New York trade
offices as well as reputable international research centres such
as Harvard, Princeton and London Business School to promote Hong
Kong and our financial services. (detailed in Eric's Bits
& Bytes, 13th issue, December 2000)
*Monitor standards of Government services, particularly
those provided to Accountants as main users.
* Continue to serve PAC.
* Play a leading role in LegCo to follow up on PAC recommendation
to enhance disclosure of Government financial reporting to the Legislature.
* Follow up progress of Government‘s pilot project on accrual accounting.
* Served as PAC Chairman all through and took a prominent
role in causing the PAC Report No. 33 "Review of the Financial
Reporting of the Government" and the Director of Accounting
Services to focus on Government's accrual accounting and financial
* Devoted a major part of Budget Speech 1998 on this topic.
* Maintain a simple and low tax environment and cautiously
explore the possibility of double taxation treaties and other financial
incentives in order to attract foreign businesses to Hong Kong.
* Continue to prompt Government to negotiate Double
Tax Treaty which will generate important mutual benefits.
* Play a leading role at LegCo in scrutinising these treaties.
* Numerous Double Tax Treaties now signed by the
HKSAR with Eric having taken part in their scrutiny process.
* Advocated with positive response the forthcoming 4th
Comprehensive Tax Review.
* Devoted a major part of my speech in a LegCo Motion Debate on
10. 11. 1999.
* Devoted a series of written articles to Hong Kong Economic Times
on 14, 21 & 27. 1. 2000.
* Consult adviser group and survey sample
membership if in doubt on any controversial issue.
* Speed and high volume of Bills in last
3 momentous years made wider scale consultation difficult.
But I will look again at new ways, with aid of modern technology.
* Conducted three independent professional surveys
on the political structure, civil service reform and non-confidence
vote on the Secretary of Justice and a telephone poll on the Housing
* Maintained extensive small group meetings with experts on current
topics e.g. IT listings, and also at random for those who had expressed
an interest to meet me.
* Frequent use of Website and now offering regular chatroom sessions
Eric's Undaunted Commitment 家祥不斷的承諾
Hong Kong will be a great place only it tolerates different pluralistic
views and independent voices
Trust Your Choice Eric Li Ka-cheung
Eric is 47 and at the peak of experience, assertiveness
and mental strength. Still the youngest of the 3 candidates but
evidently the most experienced, Eric believes in free elections and trusts
that your vote will return the best candidate to represent the accountancy
1. budding third generation
Born in an Accountants family, Eric studied
at St. Paul's Co-educational College and the University of Manchester
in UK. Besides studying, Eric was an active volunteer since
the age of 15 and was Chairman of the Chinese Students body at University.
2. Young accountant with ideals
Eric then joined Coopers and Lybrand London
(1975-1978) before returning home full of dreams, ideals and visions
for a life as a contributing accountant in HK.
3. young appointed District
Board & LegCo member
As a young partner of Li, Tang, Chen &
Co., Eric lost no time in devoting himself to the profession and
the community. At 32, Eric was the youngest appointed District
Board member in 1985 and then, an appointed LegCo member in 1991,
Eric served a record of over twenty Government Boards and Committees
between 1985-1995, including many important positions such as Chairman,
Commission on Youth and Chairman, Social Welfare Advisory Committee.
4. HKSA President, Accountant
of the year & LegCo Rep.
Eric was selected the first Accountant
of the Year in 1993 and then elected HKSA President in 1994.
Having served numerous HKSA committees since 1983, Eric's vision
for the profession is now shared by many. From 1995, Eric
began to represent the accountancy constituents in LegCo.
To broaden his own commercial experience, Eric also joined the Boards
of 7 listed companies in different fields.
5. A Political Force home grown
By now, Eric is a well respected independent
politician with an unmistakable, fair-minded finance professional
image. In LegCo, Eric is active as the Chairman of its Public
Accounts Committee, Deputy Chairman of the Financial Affairs Panel
and numerous Bills Committees. Eric also took an active part
in the launch of the HK Tracker Fund as a former director of EFIL
and chairs the Hong Kong Council of Social Service.
6. Eric's future path
in your hands
Eric is still striving hard to further
enhance the public status of Accountants and will trusts in your